Saturday, December 5, 2009

Global Anarchy, aka., free trade

I'm listening to the BBC right now, hearing about the Bhopal gas leak. It's the 25th anniversery. It remains the most deadly industrial disaster ever, worse than Chernobyl. What made it so devastating was the fact that factory workers lived right next to the factory when the leak occurred. A deadly gas leaked from holding towers, fell to the ground, and spread throughout the slums around the factory. The gas killed thousands. Twenty-five years later, the groundwater is deadly. The Indian government provides the locals with water that is trucked in from elsewhere, but it's never enough. On the BBC, I'm now listening to the ridiculous irony of a BBC reporter, from the West, grilling an Indian official about the plight of the locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type stuff on my internet home! Type whatever! However, comments that do not comport with great justice shall be ridiculed by the community - by which I mean me and my cat.